harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Prepscius <timprepsc...@gmail.com>
Subject harmony vm as a lib
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 02:52:58 GMT
Greetings,

I have been searching for a non-gpl replacement for sun's java for
quite a while now.  I can't believe I didn't see your project until
this month.  Let me tell you, when I saw your code I almost cried.
(haha, well, maybe not cried)

It's really, really nice.  And I have not run yet into a hundred line
#define (as in "dalvik") yet.
Anyhow.

This is what I'd like to do.  I'm wondering whether anyone would
comment on accomplishing this, if it is possible.
Who knows, maybe somebody else has fiddled around with this.

What I'm looking for:

1.  I'm really not looking for java.  I'm looking for a
micro-edition-ish java to embed in a video game engine.

2.  Don't need JIT, don't need two garbage collectors - 1 will do,
don't need the JVM to be accessible to the outside world. Don't need
almost *all* of the class libraries.  Don't need sockets (except for
debugging).  Don't actually need threads (I disable their creation via
the security manager anyway), but I suppose this is necessary for GC &
Debug.

3. Need JNI, which I see you have.

So what I'm thinking I'd like to do:

Optimally I'd like to create a lib out of harmony-vm.  Statically link
with my application.  Create a single jar with all of my necessary
classes, cutting out all of the java extra stuff (everything pretty
much)

If creating a lib creates problems for JNI (what problems I don't
know), I'd like to combine all of your dlls into one massive dll.
Then I was thinking, that after getting this done, I'd start cutting
out modules.  And try to reduce everything to under 1 meg.

--

Is this crazy?

Thanks in advance,

-tim