harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: harmony vm as a lib
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 03:11:20 GMT
Tim Prepscius wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been searching for a non-gpl replacement for sun's java for
> quite a while now.  I can't believe I didn't see your project until
> this month.  Let me tell you, when I saw your code I almost cried.
> (haha, well, maybe not cried)
>
> It's really, really nice.  And I have not run yet into a hundred line
> #define (as in "dalvik") yet.
> Anyhow.
>

> This is what I'd like to do.  I'm wondering whether anyone would
> comment on accomplishing this, if it is possible.
> Who knows, maybe somebody else has fiddled around with this.
>
> What I'm looking for:
>
> 1.  I'm really not looking for java.  I'm looking for a
> micro-edition-ish java to embed in a video game engine.
>
> 2.  Don't need JIT, don't need two garbage collectors - 1 will do,
> don't need the JVM to be accessible to the outside world. Don't need
> almost *all* of the class libraries.  Don't need sockets (except for
> debugging).  Don't actually need threads (I disable their creation via
> the security manager anyway), but I suppose this is necessary for GC &
> Debug.
>
> 3. Need JNI, which I see you have.
>
> So what I'm thinking I'd like to do:
>

> Optimally I'd like to create a lib out of harmony-vm.  Statically link
> with my application.  Create a single jar with all of my necessary
> classes, cutting out all of the java extra stuff (everything pretty
> much)

[1] can help to find out which classes are used by your application, and strip
down a jre only contains these classes. This tool only slim java class library,
doesn't touch native code. VM guys may help you with how to slim the JVM.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/tools/trunk/minijre/

--
Best Regards,
Regis.