harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] BufferedReader and FileInputStream.available()
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:56:15 GMT

In message <96933a4d0911051045p61431af5ie2cecb850a62267a@mail.gmail.com>,
enh writes:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 23:07, Regis <xu.regis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mark Hindess wrote:
> >>
> >> In message <4AF0DC18.1000504@gmail.com>, Regis writes:
> >>
> >> Regis, these are really two different issues so lets treat them as
> >> such.  I actually think fixing the /proc reading is better done
> >> in the java code.  I've attached a patch that just catches and
> >> ignores the IOException from the available call.  I think this is
> >> reasonable since if the exception was "real" then the read will
> >> fail if a similar exception.  In fact, since the user is doing
> >> a read call, having the exception thrown by the read is more in
> >> keeping with the expectations of the user than having an exception
> >> thrown by the available call.
> >

> > Thanks Mark, I ran luni tests with your patch, no regression found,
> > I'll leave patch to you to apply :)
> >
> > invoking in.available before read is a little overhead, in the
> > worst case, one read need four system calls, three seek and one
> > read. Actually the condition
> >
> > if ((in.available() = 0) && (out.position() > offset))
> >
> > it's only for tty file, for normal file it's not necessary. It's
> > better if we can remove the check for normal file, but I have no
> > idea how to do this.
>
> isatty(3). for the price of one JNI call at construction and a boolean
> field to record the result, you could avoid any later calls.

This might be a good idea, but I'm getting confused...

At the moment there seems to be a special case in FileInputStream.available()
like this:

  // stdin requires special handling
  if (fd == FileDescriptor.in) {
    return (int) fileSystem.ttyAvailable();
  }
  ... perform seek based available check ...

but I find this confusing because the comment and check implies that
stdin is special but the fileSystem method name implies that it is being
a tty that is the distinction.  This is confusing because *any* file
descriptor can be a tty - e.g. new FileReader("/dev/tty") - and stdin
doesn't have to be a tty - "java </dev/zero".

Regis, can you explain a little more about why the check is needed
in the available call?  And why the available check is needed in the
FileInputStream read method?

In each case, is it really stdin that is special or any file descriptor
representing a tty?

I'd like to understand this as there are a whole bunch of ttyRead with
a similar check that only affects stdin not any tty descriptor.

> in the meantime, i wondered also whether it's worth swapping the two
> conjuncts in the if, since the latter is essentially free while the
> former is expensive. (i've no idea how often the cheap conjunct is
> false, though.)

I thought about this but held of doing it for the same reason.  However,
I guess it is almost certainly a win.

Regards,
 Mark.