harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Bloch <...@google.com>
Subject Re: Doubting exception priority compatibility
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:13:37 GMT
I would argue that we are doing a better job of ensuring compatibility with
the RI by *not* mandating the same exception priority on these exceptions.
 In the RI, they can (and do) change even in minor releases.  Our tests are
mandating compatibility with a random snapshot of the RI on an
implementation detail that the RI maintainers consider unimportant.  We are
thus encouraging our users to depend on this implementation detail.  That
just doesn't make sense.

Interestingly, Sun went so far as to *prohibit *specifying which exception
is to be thrown if multiple exceptions apply, 8 years ago:
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4462062 .  They actually filed a bug
to change some documentation that specified this implementation detail

          Josh

P.S.  I would add several exceptions to Jesse's list including
ClassCastException (common for sorted collections, and highly implementation
dependent).