harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r829056 - /harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/shared/OSNetworkSystem.c
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:26:27 GMT
Jesse Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 6:32 AM, <odeakin@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Author: odeakin
>> Date: Fri Oct 23 13:32:06 2009
>> New Revision: 829056

>> Log:
>> The port library hysock_connect_with_timeout() function only takes an
>> unsigned 32bit value as a timeout (with a maximum value of 100ms), so
>> passing -1 here for a blocking connect makes no sense. Instead poll the call
>> with 100ms timeouts for a while before throwing a ConnectException to
>> indicate failure.
>>

> Wouldn't it be more appropriate to just relax the constraints on
> hysock_connect_with_timeout?
Sure, what would you suggest? I believe the reason the portlib function
was implemented this way (only a short 100ms timeout maximum) is because
on some platforms it is not possible to interrupt blocking calls, so
once you go into the block there is no way to stop it for, for example,
VM shutdown.

Regards,
Oliver

--