harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Beyer <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Idiomatic Java: return-at-method-end in Harmony
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 01:29:27 GMT
On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Jesse Wilson <jessewilson@google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Mark Hindess
> <mark.hindess@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> Modern programmers do refactoring and testing.  I'm more than happy with
>> this.  I want our code to be readable and using idiomatic style goes a
>> long way to achieving that.  Working is important but being maintainable
>> is important too.
>>
>> +1 for making such changes but I'd prefer to see them as distinct
>> patches not part of broader changes so it is easier to verify that they
>> really are syntactic refactorings.
>>

> Sounds good. If I find myself cleaning up code en route to fixing it, I'll
> try to make a habit of submitting the non-functional change as an
> intermediate step.

+1 for this approach. My opinion is that refactoring is fine as long
as there is a high amount of testing - the refactoring in most cases
should just make the code more efficient, simple or easier to read. I
do think refactoring should be separated from bug fixes and
enhancements when possible - it makes watching the changes easier.

-Nathan