harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: MsgHelp changes
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2009 21:31:42 GMT

In message <a43fbc6a0910081214x5eb9d71cnc2535457fa548c95@mail.gmail.com>,
> Jesse Wilson writes:
>
> Mark and Tim,
> Of the two giant patches I've submitted thus far
> (archive<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6346>and
> crypto <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6347>), you guys
> omitted the MsgHelp changes. That's fine; those changes were
> out-of-scope. But since I think the MsgHelp changes are a net win when used
> by all modules, I'll prepare a new patch *just* for MsgHelp changes. It will
> impact the Messages classes of several modules. Any objections before I
> prepare a patch?

I like the fact that your change removes a dependency on
org.apache.harmony.kernel.VM (the only dependency for many modules so
this is a big win for modularity and reuse) but dislike that it adds
a dependency on a non-API class in luni - see my recent post about
modularity and reuse.  However, the nls message helper[0] would be an
ideal candidate for a new util/hyutil module.

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] Or "helpers" if we decide to create an ExceptionManager as discussed
    earlier today.