harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][build] putting native debug symbols in hdk (not jre)?
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 08:28:30 GMT
On 03/Sep/2009 22:48, Mark Hindess wrote:
> In release mode we currently discard windows .pdb files.  This is good
> because it keeps the size of the jre down but perhaps we should place
> the .pdb files for jre/bin/*.dll in the hdk/ lib directory and package
> them in our release HDKs?

Or we could follow the other distros that (IIRC) include the source jars
and native debug info in JDKs but leave them out of JREs.

I can imagine that having source JARs and .debug/.pdb files is useful as
you develop your Java programs, but they are an unnecessary overhead
when you are simply running them.

> On linux we could also create smaller .so files (quite a lot smaller in
> some cases!) by stripping them but maintain debug capability by creating
> associated .debug files.  See:
>
>   http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_17.html#SEC166
>
> Something like:
>
>   objcopy --only-keep-debug $dll $hdk/lib/$dll.debug
>   strip --strip-debug --strip-unneeded $dll
>   objcopy --add-gnu-debuglink=$hdk/lib/$dll.debug $dll
>
> so gdb can pick them up[0].
>
> Do people think this is a reasonable idea?

Yes, though as I say, I'd s/HDK/JDK/g

The next logical step would be to compile at a different optimizaion
level for the JRE, but I think it is helpful to have the same debug info
around so that it can be brought alongside a JRE to help debug it.
We could even host the .debug/.pdb files on the website for debuggers to
pick-up, ...

Regards,
Tim