harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare the signed source for r809832 as 6.0 Milestone 1
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 14:42:46 GMT
Oliver Deakin wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
>> In message <200909021728.n82HSTED001265@d06av04.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
>> Mark Hindess writes:

>>> It will load some class files compiled for 1.6.  For instance, if I
>>> compile classlib with hy.javac.{source,target}=1.6 then it runs
>>> eclipse.
>>>
>>> Do you think we should hold off releasing any 6.0 milestones until the
>>> VM supports all 1.6 features?  If no one is planning to implement these
>>> we might not make any 6.0 releases for a rather long time and so the
>>> 6.0
>>> classlib code wont get released/exercised?
>>>
>>> I'm fine if we decide not to make a release now but we should decide
>>> exactly what the "must have" features are for milestone 1.
>>>

>> I've just checked a SwingSet2.jar from Sun 1.6.0_16-b01 (linux/x86) and
>> it works for me on a build based on these source artifacts.
>>

> Using my 6.0 federation build (not direct from the source artifacts,
> but should be the same repo revision) I see the same failure as Tim on
> Windows x86 running SwingSet2 from 1.6.0_14-b08:
>
> Uncaught exception in Thread-264:
> java.lang.VerifyError:
> BezierAnimationPanel.paint(Ljava/awt/Graphics;)V, pass: 0
> , instr: 67, reason: incorrect constantpool entry
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(ClassLoader.java)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:367)
> <etc.>
>
> I've had a hunt down through the code, and I can see the error is
> being thrown in vf_Context_6::read_types() in context_6.cpp (the
> ITEM_OBJECT case). cpool_get_class() is returning false, and this
> seems to be caused by the call to read_uint16() a few lines earlier
> returning 0 for the constant pool index (which I think is invalid). I
> don't know what the exact reason for the 0 return is yet - if anyone
> who understands the code better could take a look that would be very
> helpful.

Ok, a little more progress on this today - I've tracked the failure down
to the 2nd call to context6.verify_method(method) in vf_verify6_class()
in ver.cpp. The first call to verify_method() for
BezierAnimationPanel.paint() completes successfully, but the 2nd one fails.

Interestingly, the 2nd call to verify_method() is in an "#ifndef
_NDEBUG" block but, as far as I can see, _NDEBUG is never defined in the
build files so we always build this code. The source actually uses both
_NDEBUG and NDEBUG (which _is_ defined in common-vm.xml) in different
places, so I think we should change the _NDEBUGs to NDEBUG so they are
compiled as I'm assuming they were intended.

Back to the original issue - if I compile without that particular
_NDEBUG block (i.e. remove the 2nd call to verify_method) then the code
is verified and executes successfully until we later hit another exception:
   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/swing/filechooser/FileNameExtensionFilter
which is to be expected because we do not have this class implemented in
our swing module.

It's not clear to me why we make the 2nd verify_method() call at all.
Does anyone know why additional debug code would be doing this?

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin