harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare the signed source for r809832 as 6.0 Milestone 1
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:12:14 GMT
On 02/Sep/2009 18:28, Mark Hindess wrote:
> In message <4A9E6944.9080609@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:
>> On 01/Sep/2009 08:30, Mark Hindess wrote:
>>> There was some agreement that we should create a 6.0 milestone so I'm
>>> going to begin a vote.  If anyone feels that three days isn't enough
>>> time to complete testing then please just ask for more time.
>>> I have created a signed source archive for this revision and made it
>>> available at:
>>>   http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/6.0m1/
>>> Please test these artifacts and then vote for declaring these source
>>> archives as 6.0 milestone 1, and opening up the remaining frozen
>>> code trees for general development once again.
>>> This vote will be open for at least 3 days, or until all binding
>>> votes have been cast (if earlier).
>>> If the vote is successful, binary builds from that level will be
>>> made available on the download page.
>> How is this going to work if the DRLVM cannot load class files
>> compiled for 1.6 ?! See HARMONY-6317
> It will load some class files compiled for 1.6.  For instance, if I
> compile classlib with hy.javac.{source,target}=1.6 then it runs eclipse.

I was referring to the ability for the candidate to run applications
compiled with target 1.6 (not the classlib compiled with target 1.6).

AFAIK Eclipse doesn't have any 1.6 level class files.

> Do you think we should hold off releasing any 6.0 milestones until the
> VM supports all 1.6 features?  If no one is planning to implement these
> we might not make any 6.0 releases for a rather long time and so the 6.0
> classlib code wont get released/exercised?

No, I understand this is an early driver, so if there are some
limitations then putting them into the README is fine.  However, if we
cannot run any 1.6 class files then that is a show stopper IMHO.

I also think we should fix HARMONY-6330, even in the first milestone, as
that is just silly.

> I'm fine if we decide not to make a release now but we should decide
> exactly what the "must have" features are for milestone 1.

Agreed.  But I think we need to make a quick decision about whether the
relevant branches need to remain frozen or not.

View raw message