harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare the signed source for r809832 as 6.0 Milestone 1
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 19:00:08 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> In message <200909021728.n82HSTED001265@d06av04.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
> Mark Hindess writes:

>>> How is this going to work if the DRLVM cannot load class files
>>> compiled for 1.6 ?! See HARMONY-6317
>>>
>> It will load some class files compiled for 1.6.  For instance, if I
>> compile classlib with hy.javac.{source,target}=1.6 then it runs eclipse.
>>
>> Do you think we should hold off releasing any 6.0 milestones until the
>> VM supports all 1.6 features?  If no one is planning to implement these
>> we might not make any 6.0 releases for a rather long time and so the 6.0
>> classlib code wont get released/exercised?
>>
>> I'm fine if we decide not to make a release now but we should decide
>> exactly what the "must have" features are for milestone 1.
>>

> I've just checked a SwingSet2.jar from Sun 1.6.0_16-b01 (linux/x86) and
> it works for me on a build based on these source artifacts.

Using my 6.0 federation build (not direct from the source artifacts, but
should be the same repo revision) I see the same failure as Tim on
Windows x86 running SwingSet2 from 1.6.0_14-b08:

Uncaught exception in Thread-264:
java.lang.VerifyError: BezierAnimationPanel.paint(Ljava/awt/Graphics;)V,
pass: 0
, instr: 67, reason: incorrect constantpool entry
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(ClassLoader.java)
<etc.>

I've had a hunt down through the code, and I can see the error is being
thrown in vf_Context_6::read_types() in context_6.cpp (the ITEM_OBJECT
case). cpool_get_class() is returning false, and this seems to be caused
by the call to read_uint16() a few lines earlier returning 0 for the
constant pool index (which I think is invalid). I don't know what the
exact reason for the 0 return is yet - if anyone who understands the
code better could take a look that would be very helpful.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin