harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [classlib][build] putting native debug symbols in hdk (not jre)?
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:48:07 GMT

In release mode we currently discard windows .pdb files.  This is good
because it keeps the size of the jre down but perhaps we should place
the .pdb files for jre/bin/*.dll in the hdk/ lib directory and package
them in our release HDKs?

On linux we could also create smaller .so files (quite a lot smaller in
some cases!) by stripping them but maintain debug capability by creating
associated .debug files.  See:

  http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_17.html#SEC166

Something like:

  objcopy --only-keep-debug $dll $hdk/lib/$dll.debug
  strip --strip-debug --strip-unneeded $dll
  objcopy --add-gnu-debuglink=$hdk/lib/$dll.debug $dll

so gdb can pick them up[0].

Do people think this is a reasonable idea?

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] Probably with the help of an appropriate LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting