harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [website] Testing SVN based websites (fwd)
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:28:47 GMT

The infra team are testing a new svn-based publishing system for project
websites - see below for some details.  I think this technology is much
nicer because it is faster so there is less waiting around to see if
your update worked (and less waiting around for the fix to be propagated
if it didn't).  I also like the idea of using branches to make use of
harmony.staging.apache.org so you can *really* test your changes before
copying the trunk to the live branch.

What do other people think about:

1) using a branch to distinguish the live site from trunk.  I think the
overhead of an extra svn copy to promote staging to live is well worth
the additional peace of mind when making changes.

2) volunteering harmony.apache.org to be a test site.  We don't make
many changes so it should be fairly low risk.

Regards,
 Mark.

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 03:18:51 -0700
Subject: Testing SVN based websites
From: Paul Querna <paul@querna.org>
To: infrastructure-dev@apache.org

Hi,

SvnWcSub and SvnPubSub now work well enough for some testing.

I have added a staging.apache.org subdomain for now.

I have setup a required user/pass for all *.staging.apache.org, NOT to
make it secure, but to prevent googlebot etc from indexing it.

First demo:
http://apr.staging.apache.org/
Username: staging
Password: staging

Commits <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/site/trunk/docs> to are
propagated the live webserver in under 1 second.

The use of a staging path is entirely up to the PMC/TLP, the sync
tools only care about subversion paths -- for example, we could map
them like this:
apr.apache.org -> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/site/branches/live/docs
apr.staging.apache.org -> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/site/trunk/docs

If a PMC thought that was a better workflow for them -- if a PMC
prefers to just have instant updates, they can forgo the staging
domain, and just map it to their live domain.

So.... any Volunteer PMCs who want to convert their production website?

SvnWcSub and SvnPubSub will still need some more development and a few
small features, but so far seem very stable... yay for twisted and
python.

Thanks,

Paul

------- End of Forwarded Message