harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare the signed source for r809832 as 6.0 Milestone 1
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:46:23 GMT

In message <4A9EDFAE.4000509@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:

> On 02/Sep/2009 18:28, Mark Hindess wrote:

> >> How is this going to work if the DRLVM cannot load class files
> >> compiled for 1.6 ?! See HARMONY-6317
> >
> > It will load some class files compiled for 1.6.  For instance, if
> > I compile classlib with hy.javac.{source,target}=1.6 then it runs
> > eclipse.
>
> I was referring to the ability for the candidate to run applications
> compiled with target 1.6 (not the classlib compiled with target 1.6).

I know but loading classes from a classlib compiled as 1.6 level class files
is a good test that using classes without 1.6 features are generally okay.

As I wrote later, SwingSet2.jar works for me - I've tried several version
all with 1.6 level class files - on linux/x86.

> AFAIK Eclipse doesn't have any 1.6 level class files.

Of course.

> > Do you think we should hold off releasing any 6.0 milestones
> > until the VM supports all 1.6 features?  If no one is planning to
> > implement these we might not make any 6.0 releases for a rather long
> > time and so the 6.0 classlib code wont get released/exercised?
>
> No, I understand this is an early driver, so if there are some
> limitations then putting them into the README is fine.  However, if we
> cannot run any 1.6 class files then that is a show stopper IMHO.

Sorry, it wasn't clear from the JIRA you pointed to that you couldn't
run *any* 1.6 class files, I assumed the problematic classes used 1.6
specific features.

> I also think we should fix HARMONY-6330, even in the first milestone,
> as that is just silly.

Well, please vote -1 and save anyone wasting more time testing. ;-)

> > I'm fine if we decide not to make a release now but we should decide
> > exactly what the "must have" features are for milestone 1.
>
> Agreed.  But I think we need to make a quick decision about whether
> the relevant branches need to remain frozen or not.

If windows is as bad as you say then I'd be inclined to delay 6.0M1
until after 5.0M12 to give us time to fix it.

And re-open the entire code base ASAP.

-Mark.