harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare the signed source for r809832 as 6.0 Milestone 1
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:28:21 GMT

In message <4A9E6944.9080609@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:

> On 01/Sep/2009 08:30, Mark Hindess wrote:
> >
> > There was some agreement that we should create a 6.0 milestone so I'm
> > going to begin a vote.  If anyone feels that three days isn't enough
> > time to complete testing then please just ask for more time.
> >
> > I have created a signed source archive for this revision and made it
> > available at:
> >
> >   http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/6.0m1/
> >
> > Please test these artifacts and then vote for declaring these source
> > archives as 6.0 milestone 1, and opening up the remaining frozen
> > code trees for general development once again.
> >
> > This vote will be open for at least 3 days, or until all binding
> > votes have been cast (if earlier).
> >
> > If the vote is successful, binary builds from that level will be
> > made available on the download page.
>
> How is this going to work if the DRLVM cannot load class files
> compiled for 1.6 ?! See HARMONY-6317

It will load some class files compiled for 1.6.  For instance, if I
compile classlib with hy.javac.{source,target}=1.6 then it runs eclipse.

Do you think we should hold off releasing any 6.0 milestones until the
VM supports all 1.6 features?  If no one is planning to implement these
we might not make any 6.0 releases for a rather long time and so the 6.0
classlib code wont get released/exercised?

I'm fine if we decide not to make a release now but we should decide
exactly what the "must have" features are for milestone 1.

-Mark.