harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gong <daniel.gong.fu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSOC] The code for smallest class set for customer application in now on JIRA
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:59:55 GMT
*Introduction to MinJreToolkit*

Version 0.01

1.  Main goal

The main goal of MinJreToolkit is to implement a set of tools to help
developers decide which files of a JRE are necessary to execute a certain
custom JAVA application and then reduce the JRE size as much as possible to
just suit the custom application.

2.  General idea

The general idea of MinJreToolkit is to implement tools to automatically
analyze the custom application in several different ways and define a
uniformed result format which can be merged easily for all these tools. The
analyzing strategies include constant pool parsing, dynamic tracing and so
on.

Due to the possible dynamic behavior of JAVA application, it is hard to
strictly decide the exact necessary files given a JRE implementation and a
JAVA application. Therefore, the task of the MinJreToolkit is to reduce the
JRE to a size which will be very possibly larger than the real minimum size
a bit.

3. Detailed design

In the current version of MinJreToolkit, the basic result format has been
defined, associated with a class which contains the data of result and the
operations between results. Besides, two analyzing strategies and a JRE
generator have been implemented to perform static and dynamic analysis to a
custom application and generate a new JRE from an origin one according to
the final merged result.

The basic result format

The current result file is a plain text file with a cns file name extension,
called CNS (Class Name Set) file. The format of CNS file is simple. It must
start with a line of “Class Name Set File” and followed by a list of fully
qualified class name (such as java.io.File) or package name (such as
java.lang.*), only one item in a line without any empty characters before
and after the name. Empty lines are allowed between name lines for that
sometimes the user may want to organize the names in groups.

The associated class, called ClassNameSet, is the data structure that
contains and manages the class name set. It can be initialized from a cns
file and can also be output to a cns file. More, it can merge from a cns
file or another instance of ClassNameSet. When trying to add a class name or
a package name, the instance of ClassNameSet will examine the name to decide
whether it is a valid name. If not, it will ignore it quietly and continue.
The future version of MinJreToolkit may add this kind of exception
information to a log file.

Static analysis

The static analysis is implemented based on bcel 5.2. The analyzer parses
the constant pool of each class with bcel, get the dependence between
classes and employ a simple dependency closure algorithm to calculate the
closure. The output of this analyzer is a cns file containing JRE classes in
the closure.

Dynamic analysis

The dynamic analysis is implemented as a JVMTI agent. It parses all the
class load events taking place in the runtime of an application and give a
cns file output. The agent is supposed to be used in tests. The coverage of
this kind of dynamic tracing depends on the coverage of test cases.

JRE Generator

The JRE generator should be initialized by a cns file which contains the
necessary classes that a certain JRE implementation must load in any case.
Then cns files can be added to the generator. After that, the generator copy
necessary files and “reduced” jar files to the target JRE directory.

4. What can you do with the demo

Currently the demo contains

   - the functional module of static analyzer and JRE generator
   - the main class of static analyzer and JRE generator
   - the command line scripts of  static analyzer and JRE generator (in
   Windows environment)
   - the Ant task of static analyzer and JRE generator
   - the dynamic tracing agent (in both Windows & Linux environment)

A build.xml file has been provided to compile, test both command line
version and Ant task version of static analyzer and JRE generator as well as
the dynamic tracing agent and finally create the distribution of
MinJreToolkit including binary files, command line scripts and
documentation.

To execute the build.xml file, the user should have Apache Ant installed and
well configured. Before the execution, the property of “jdk.dir”,
“origin.dir”, “target.dir” should be correctly configured to your JDK
directory, the original JRE directory and the target JRE directory
respectively.

Run “ant” in the demo directory will execute the default target “dist” and
get a distribution of MinJreToolkit in the “dist” directory after compiling
and testing. After that, the user can use the distribution to help him/her
get a reduced JRE for his/her own application.

Run “ant clean” in the demo directory will clean all files possibly produced
in the previous building process and restore the demo directory to the
original status.

5. Future plan

Currently the following improvements are in the future plan:

   - Optimize the closure calculation algorithm used in the static analysis
      - Reduce the output closure size
      - Enhance the performance of the algorithm in speed and memory
      occupancy
   - Add other analyzers to make the toolkit generate smaller JRE
   - Add a log functional module to the toolkit to provide more information
   to user