harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][jdwp] Use java 6 branch JDWP in java 5 builds?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:26:51 GMT

In message <4A7AF437.8080804@googlemail.com>, Oliver Deakin writes:

> [snip]
>
> Ok, I wrote a quick Java class to scan all the source from the Java 5
> and 6 JDWP trees and pull out the JVMTI functions called, then compare
> the two lists to each other to see the differences. I found that in the
> Java 6 version we use the following 10 functions not available in Java 5
> JVMTI:
>
> GetClassVersionNumbers
> ForceEarlyReturnDouble/Float/Void/Long/Int/Object
> GetOwnedMonitorStackDepthInfo
> FollowReferences
> GetConstantPool
>
> I had a scan through the JDWP source containing these function calls and
> they all reside in JDWP event handlers which are Java 6 only, so I
> believe in a Java 5 debugging environment no Java 6 JVMTI calls should
> ever be made.

Excellent.  I don't see much point in maintaining two copies.

> Im going to start investigating the test failures I see running the JDWP
> suites with the Java 6 agent to make sure they are not caused by any
> other use of Java 6 features I may have missed.

I'm just doing another merge of jdktools/trunk to
jdktools/branches/java6 and out of curiosity I checked the diff between
trunk and java6 (excluding modules/jpda) and there were no differences
except the merge changes I am testing.

I wonder if we really need a java6 jdktools branch - we could always
recreate it if we need it and at the moment it just seems to be
overhead.

Regards,
 Mark