harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Wilson <jessewil...@google.com>
Subject Avoid reformatting third-party code?
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:53:26 GMT
Harmony folks,
I've started to watch the Harmony commit logs and I saw a commit that I
disagree with! I figured that it was a good opportunity for a discussion...

The commit fixed some style problems in the java.util.concurrent package. It
fixed whitespace problems and Javadoc inconsistencies, replacing
<tt>Object</tt> with {@code Object}. In general, such changes are
improvements, but we should make an exception for third-party code. The
unnecessary deltas will make merging and integrating future changes from
upstream much more labor intensive. And if it's more difficult to integrate
patches, we won't do so very frequently!

This advice is from experience. I work on Android's Dalvik classlibraries,
which is itself downstream of Harmony. We've made a broad exception to our
project's style guide so we can avoid reformatting code. This saves me a
significant amount of merging effort.

Thanks!
Jesse