harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Karthik Venkateswaran <Karthik.Venkateswa...@lntinfotech.com>
Subject [legal] Compatibility of GPL with Apache
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 06:35:44 GMT
Hi all,
I have a question with regards to compatibility of Apache license with
GPLv2.

Just for a background this question is for integrating two packages LUCI
(Based on Apache license) and Openwrt (Based on GPLv2).

Would like to know the following:

1. LUCI is already ported as a package on Openwrt, will it automatically
be part of GPLv2. Considering that the package is built separately
independent of Openwrt.
2. Might be wrong to ask this in GPL forum, nevertheless if LUCI (which is
under a permissive license) is modified. Then ported on a proprietary
framework including an attribution to Apache license. Is this ok?
3. Finally, if I modify the Apache licensed LUCI and port it on GPLv2
framework. Would the proprietary code be entitled under GPLv2?

Please excuse my open ended questions as I am a newbie and am no Legal
expert.

Regards,
Karthik Venkateswaran
Project Leader
Larsen & Toubro Infotech Ltd.
Cell: +91 9886676402
E Mail id: karthik.venkateswaran@lntinfotech.com

Plot No. 25-31, EPIP Phase II
KIADB Indl. Area, Whitefield, Bangalore 560066

T: +91 80 6624 2283
F: +91 80 6624 2424

INDIA +0530 UTC/GMT

Larsen & Toubro Infotech Ltd.
www.Lntinfotech.com

This Document is classified as:

L&T Infotech Proprietary   L&T Infotech Confidential   L&T Infotech
Internal Use Only   L&T Infotech General Business

This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the
intended recipient (s) If you are not the intended recipient, please do
not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it
from your system.