harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Lee <littlee1...@gmail.com>
Subject Shall we change our file.encoding
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:50:33 GMT
Hi guys:

I am doing some test cases on the ant junit test case and meeting some
encoding problems. I find they are maybe caused by the different default
encoding from RI and harmony. My local is en_US.UTF-8, RI default is UTF-8
but harmony is 8859-1. And then I have encountered
HARMONY-3736<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3736>,
and the two diffs attached on that issue. It seems we always get 8859-1.
Because: (correct me if wrong :-)

1. we remove the set code in the vm. we will always get null if we call vm
method
2. we set the file.encode in the libglob.c, if we got null from vm, we set
8859-1.
3. we can not set file.encode on the run time.

ant use UTF-8 to encode filename which contains the non-ascii character.
So why we use iso8859-1 as our unchangeable default?
>From the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO8859-1, it says "In computing
applications, encodings that provide full UCS support (such as
UTF-8<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8>and
UTF-16 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-16>) are finding increasing favor
over encodings based on ISO 8859-1." Should we simply change iso8859-1 to
utf-8?

--
Yours sincerely,
Charles Lee