harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Jar tool?
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:25:02 GMT
Hi Andrew,

I've applied the patch from HARMONY-6255 now and it's looking good. The
only slightly strange thing I've noticed is that when I create an
archive with a command line something like:

 jar -cf foo.jar HelloWorld.class

and then list it's contents with "jar -tvf foo.jar", I get -1 as the
size of the ZipEntry for some reason:

 >target\hdk\jdk\bin\jar -tf foo.jar
    -1 Thu Jul 30 09:46:38 GMT+01:00 2009 HelloWorld.class

However, if I run with jar from the RI it displays the ZipEntry size
correctly:
   717 Thu Jul 30 09:46:38 BST 2009 HelloWorld.class

In the listJar() method we use ze.getSize() to get the ZipEntry size to
display, which works for jars not packed by our own jar tool. Any idea
why it wouldn't work for jars packed by our jar?

Just a quick note on the processFile() method - I notice that it reads
the entire file to be packed into a buffer and then writes it all out
again in one go. This is ok for small files, but I could see a problem
when we get to packing files which are very large - do you think it
would be better to have a predefined buffer size here (say 1000 bytes)
and read/write in a loop, one chunk at a time? We can use the return
value from FileInputStream.read() to tell us how many bytes have been
read and then pass this value to ZipOutputStream.write().

Regards,
Oliver

Oliver Deakin wrote:
> No problem Andrew :)
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>
> Andrew Myers wrote:
>> I might have worked this out myself.  Sorry I'm so slow with this -
>> but I am
>> progressing.  I will have something to show tomorrow I hope.
>>
>> 2009/6/16 Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com>
>>

>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> Great to hear you've got back into the jar tool! I think the best
>>> thing is
>>> to direct your questions to the dev@ list, however simple or complex
>>> they
>>> may be. Everyone here is happy to help, and you'll receive answers
>>> quicker
>>> and get more ideas/opinions when the whole list can see your mails.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Oliver

>>> --
>>> Oliver Deakin
>>> Unless stated otherwise above:
>>> IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with
>>> number
>>> 741598. Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth,