harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [result] Accept JDWP contribution in HARMONY-6187
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:38:42 GMT
I committed the classlib part of this patch last week and am ready to
commit the working_jdktools part now. There are two issues I have come
across:

1) In trace output, the seconds part of the time stamp is garbled. I'm
not sure exactly what is causing this right now, but I get a feeling
there might be a problem in our str_ftime port library function.
2) On Linux, I see a crash during shutdown when debugging. It appears
that as the JDWP agent is shutting down it starts freeing up some of the
resources it's been using, including the sockets, before other parts of
the agent are finished using them. We then make a
hysock_set_nonblocking() call with what appears to be a null/bad socket,
and this crashes having passed that socket to ioctl() [1]. It looks to
be a timing issue - I think the shutdown phase of the agent needs closer
inspection to make sure that resources are not freed while they are
still being used.

Although these issues still exist, I would like to commit the code to
the Java 6 branch so I can continue working on fixes for them directly
in Harmony, rather than my local workspace, and also to allow others to
try out the new agent. Once committed, Ill raise a JIRA for both of
these issues to keep track of them.

Does anyone have any comments/objections to my committing the code in
it's current state?

Regards,
Oliver

[1]
Stack trace:
  0: 0xb7f0c6f1  hysock_set_nonblocking (hysock.c:2724)
  1: 0x95d2d0fb  SetSocketBlockingMode(_jdwpTransportEnv*,
hysocket_struct*, bool) (SocketTransport.cpp:-1)
  2: 0x95d2d9f5  TCPIPSocketTran_Accept(_jdwpTransportEnv*, long long,
long long) (SocketTransport.cpp:-1)
  3: 0x9630e7b0  jdwp::TransportManager::Connect()
(TransportManager_pd.cpp:-1)
  4: 0x962f57ee  jdwp::PacketDispatcher::Run(JNIEnv_External*)
(TransportManager_pd.cpp:-1)
  5: 0x962f70a6  jdwp::PacketDispatcher::StartFunction(jvmtiEnv_struct*,
JNIEnv_External*, void*) (TransportManager_pd.cpp:-1)
  6: 0xb76ea846  jthread_wrapper_start_proc(void*)
(thread_java_basic.cpp:167)
  7: 0xb7f274b8  thread_start_func (thread_os.c:106)
  8: 0xb7c86f3b  start_thread (??:-1)
  9: 0xb7e84bee  __clone (??:-1)
<end of stack trace>

Crashed module:
/home/odeakin/svn-checkouts/fed6/target/hdk/jdk/jre/bin/libhyprt.so
(JNI native library)

VM attached threads:

--->[0x95ca9b90]  '_jdwp_PacketDispatcher'
    [0x95d2ab90]  '_jdwp_EventDispatcher'
    [0xb7c728e0]  'destroy'
Segmentation fault

Tony Wu wrote:
> Thanks Oliver, pls go ahead!
>
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Oliver
> Deakin<oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just a heads up, Im going to start working on committing the accepted JDWP
>> contribution into the Java 6 branch.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver
>>
>> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>>
>>> +1 votes from Sean, Jimmy, Gregory, Jim, Alexey, Nathan, Regis, Kevin,
>>> Pavel, Sian, Alexei, Mark, Tim, Tony and Ilya.
>>>
>>> No other votes, so the vote passes.
>>>
>>> Thanks all for voting - I will wait until after M10 to check in the code
>>> since we are about to enter feature freeze.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Oliver

We