harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bug in Java2D (while running JFreeChart demo)
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:37:38 GMT
On 07/Jul/2009 08:44, David Gilbert wrote:
> There is a bug in Harmony's BasicStroke implementation that causes an
> exception while running DialDemo2.java from the JFreeChart demo
> collection.  There are some details in this blog entry I posted:
>
> http://www.jroller.com/dgilbert/entry/apache_harmony_and_jfreechart

Ok, it might not get noticed unless there is a JIRA opened for it.

> I'll be honest - I think you have a *lot* of work to do before anyone
> would consider using Harmony's Java2D and/or Swing implementations in
> production systems.  And yet the public perception seems to be that
> Harmony is ready and waiting?  Well, that's been the perception of a
> couple of my clients at least, and I've had to put them straight.  A
> five minute demo did that pretty effectively.  I think your marketing is
> getting ahead of your engineering.

There has been little activity around fixing the Java2D and Swing code
for a while, which clearly reflects the current interests of the group.
 I can only speculate about why that is the case.

However, there is vibrant activity and interest in other areas and those
are getting used in various "production systems".  So if you are saying
that there is work to do, then "yes!", of course, and people who want to
participate by submitting bug reports and patches are most welcome.

Regards,
Tim