harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Is there any chance that we can use GIT to keep track of all commit information while merging
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:18:04 GMT
Sean Qiu wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I'm wondering whether we can take advantage of GIT to keep track of
> all commit information while merging.
> For now, we can only get a pile of codes each merging.

Do you mean generate a separated commit for every commit in java5 trunk when
merging, and commit them one by one?

> If we can separate it into original records, that would be great
> improvement to miantain our Java 6 branch.
> 1. Create a remote branch of trunk5.
> 2. Create a remote branch of Java6.
> 3. Pull all commits from trunk5 to Java 6.
>
> Seems that it can't handle the conflicts as well as svn merge, had
> anybody tried similar stuff?

I didn't try it, but I think conflicts are unavoidable. Because if the same line
is modified by different ways, how to merge them is depends on the context and
semantic of code, not just text merging algorithms. But clever tools can help to
unload some work.

--
Best Regards,
Regis.