harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] add cache for file's canonical path
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 03:30:30 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Regis wrote:
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>>> Cool.

>>> Hmm, sounds risky to me -- at least liable to create unpredictable
>>> behavior.
>> The file's canonical path changed rarely, on Linux, only symbol link in
>> the path changed, can cause canonical path change; and on Windows, only
>> when path contains short name, the canonical path can be changed.
>> Maybe we can choose to not cache paths which are relatively "volatile",
>> such as path contained short name on Windows?

>>> Ten minutes seems like a very long time.  I would have thought that
>>> having a cache that expires in a relatively short time (since that file
>>> path was last accessed) would be sufficient.
>> So how about one minute?
>> And I prefer to define expiring time as time since that file path added
>> to the cache, because there may be some hot paths accessed frequently,
>> if expiring time is count from last accessed, they may stay in cache too
>> long and have no chance to update from file system.

>>> My initial thought is that it would be preferable to have the OS tell
>>> you when a file path changes so you can invalidate the cache, but there
>>> may not be enough info to be able to do that...
>
> Now that M10 is out the way, it may be time to revisit this idea.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

I see your comment on JIRA, it's a good suggestion, I'll take a look at MapMaker
  of Google-collections to find if there are anything we can learn from it.

A file's canonical path is changed rarely, so in the almost time, it's safe to
cache them. Now, the cache implementation used a map to cache path and a extra
LinkList to keep all cached element in time order. I'm thinking are there any
ways to do this in one data structure?

--
Best Regards,
Regis.