harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Zhou <simon.harm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC] it is time for mid-time project checking
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 10:02:11 GMT
Hi, Xiaofeng,
Sorry for late replay, I just have moved to a new renting room recent days,
the network is just connected.

I think I have finished first 2 parts of this project.

DONE:
In step 0, I find the cause of problem of barrier generating, xiaoming helps
me on this issue and give a solution.

In step 1, I implemented 2 version of barrier for get() method, one is
simply using a JNI call to invoke a GC method. Another version is a vmmagic
version, my 'get() barrier' implementation just follows the approach of
implementing write barrier.

In step 2, I modified the concurrent marker to support weak reference
processing, markers threads will put the reference object to a
list according to its type. when the concurrent marking finishes, I use the
last marker thread to process soft/weak reference lists, concurrently
(Because this process do not impact the object referencing graph).
Now, I am thinking of a improving, need we make the weak/soft reference
processing parallel?

TODO:
In step 3, I will implement a STW phase for finalizable objects and phantom
reference processing. In this phase, gc thread will trace from the dead
objects in the list to resurrect all reachable objects from them. this phase
will change the object referencing graph, so it should be dealt in a STW
manner.

I am starting writing the formal mid-term status report today, is there
anything I should pay more attention to in this report?
Thank you!

Simon
Thanks