harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [classlib] minimum ant version
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:07:07 GMT

I've just noticed that our web site says Harmony developers need:

  Apache Ant version 1.6.5 or higher

but that the changes I checked in last night (to make accessibility and
security run the tests by running them in the hdk rather than "in" classlib)

I'm happy to back out the change temporarily.  However:

1) I think that requiring 1.7.0 which was released in December 2006 isn't
   unreasonable.

2) I think running tests in the hdk is desirable and using jars (and thus
   zipfilesets) is the natural way to do this.

3) I think running tests in two ways (i.e. in classlib and in the hdk) is
   undesirable since most developers will only use one of the ways (in
   classlib) and thus not notice when the other way breaks.

4) I think having one way to run the tests will make the ant infrastructure
   easier to maintain.

so I think requiring 1.7.0 is probably the right thing to do at some point.

Why not now?  What do you think?

Regards,
 Mark.