harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about suncompat and bootclasspath.properties
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:25:43 GMT
galaxy wrote:
> Thanks Regis
>
> 2009/6/25 Regis <xu.regis@gmail.com>
>
>> galaxy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi ,
>>> I have several questions about the classlib .
>>>
>>> 1)
>>>    I noticed that the module suncompat isn't in the jre list of jar files
>>> of harmony and also the lines of suncompat in bootclasspath.properties has
>>> been commented
>>> so I am wondering the function of this module ?Is it the same of
>>> xxx-stubs.jar ?
>>>
>> suncompat provides some Sun internal classes that are widely used by
>> applications. I guess these classes just delegate functions to Harmony
>> classes which has equivalent functions.
>

> One more thing I don't understand .It's the sun.misc.Unsafe class .It is
> included in both the kernel.jar
> and suncompat.jar .So is this the reason not including it in the boot class
> path ?

kernel.jar should be in the first place of bootstrap classpath, sun.misc.Unsafe
in suncompat.jar would never be used even if uncommented in
bootclasspath.properties.

I don't know why it is not including in boot classpath (it's a long time ago
story). Maybe people think its existence just for compatible reasons, Harmony
can work well without it. If someone used Sun specific APIs and didn't willing
to change, he could just add suncompat.jar to make his program work.

--
Best Regards,
Regis.