harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [M10] Fixing README/NOTICE/LICENSE files
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:38:22 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> There appear to be several (non-functional) changes needed to fix the
> two remaining JIRA for M10.  I'd like to commit the attached patch.  Do
> any other committers approve this?
>
> The patch fixes:
>
> * Rewrite working_vm/make/resources/readme.txt to include the text from the
>   generic README I sent to the list earlier.
>
> * Fix the tag replacement during the existing copy for the above readme.txt
>   such that:
>   - it is copied to README to be more consistent with the LICENSE/NOTICE files
>   - replaces the tags in the target (not the source!) so we don't accidentally
>     check in/release a windows x86 specific version this time.
>
> * Make sure the jdk/jre/README file is included at (only) the top-level
>   in the hdk and jdk artifacts.
>
> * Create a README in the source of the federation build.  (It might
>   be less confusing if the README for svn source was different than the
>   README for tar source since the build instructions are different but we
>   can discuss that for M11 perhaps.)
>
> * Make sure LICENSE/NOTICE files are added to kernel jars.
>
> * Make sure LICENSE/NOTICE files are added to the test support.jar
>   (including re-ordering hy.hdk property to make sure it is defined before
>   the common properties.xml is imported.)
>
> * Fix various things to make sure the top-level LICENSE/NOTICE files
>   take priority over those from components - mostly to avoid getting the
>   classlib LICENSE file which doesn't cover ICU4C.
>
> Checking this means doing something like:
>
>   ant bundle-src
>   # untar/unzip the target/apache-harmony-src... artifact
>   cd apache-harmony-src-r780017
>   # check the LICENSE/NOTICE/README [0]
>   ant fetch-depends build bundle-hdk bundle-jdk bundle-jre
>   # for each of the three (hdk/jdk/jre) archives created in target check:
>   #   1) They contain correct LICENSE/NOTICE/README [0]
>   #   2) Any of our jars within the archive contain correct NOTICE/LICENSE
>
> Hopefully this covers both the outstanding JIRA for M10.  Can someone
> please sanity check this[1]?

Ok, it looks good to me. I went through your checklist for the src, jre,
jdk and hdk distributables, plus some of the jar files contained in each
of them, and found the right readme, notice and license files as far as
I could see. The contents of those files also looked correct to me. Im
+1 to committing this patch - thanks Mark!

> Regards,
>  Mark.
>
> [0] Be sure to check that the LICENSE file covers ICU4C since I managed to
>     find several ways in which the classlib LICENSE (which doesn't need
>     ICU4C) was getting used in the wrong place.
>
> [1] As Oli could confirm I've spent all day cursing about the many ways
>     to get this wrong
+1 to this also ;)

Regards,
Oliver