harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About harmony running felix
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:19:21 GMT
Thanks, I did figure that one out already. Sorry for the noise (the
difficulty was just to get it to work with eclipse running on my mac
and harmony inside windows on virtual box :-).

I now can see what is going on and I do think it is a bug in harmony.
I might be able to workaround it in felix for the time being but the
issue is this:

URLStreamHandler.toExternalForm() does assume that the url has a file
part and that it is not null (there is even a comment saying so). I
think that is not a valid assumption and in this case it is what is
causing the problem. We do a toExternalForm on a url that has only the
schema set (not the file part). In this case the
URLStreamHandler.toExternalForm() is using the result of a call to
URL.getFile() without checking whether it is null or not and
subsequently, is throwing a NPE. That doesn't happen on sun and is the
problem for felix.

regards,

Karl

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Nathan Beyer<nbeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Karl Pauls<karlpauls@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Already did. Doesn't fix it.
>>
>> We do quite some magic in regard to the URLHandlers inside felix so
>> I'm not surprised that we run into some issues on harmony but this one
>> is odd as it seems to get down to an NPE inside URL.class at a place
>> where this just doesn't seem possible with the current trunk. Granted,
>> due to the magic it isn't that clear that this is the real problem. It
>> might be just a side-effect. Is there a way to hook-up harmony to the
>> eclipse debugger (i.e., have felix run on top of harmony and connect a
>> normal remote debugger)?
>
> It should work just like any other remote process debug. Just launch
> Felix+Harmony with the standard debug options to listen on a socket
> and suspend on startup, then connect to it from Eclipse.
>
> -Nathan
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Nathan Beyer<nbeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Try out the latest milestone that just release last week -
>>> http://harmony.apache.org/download.cgi
>>>
>>> 5M10 should be pretty close to trunk right now.
>>>
>>> -Nathan

Stream

--
Karl Pauls