harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Beyer <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject porting portlib
Date Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:59:26 GMT
I've been playing around trying to port the portlib cod to run on Mac
OS X 10.5. I've been futzing around with the assembly file in
'thread', specifically 'thrhelp.s' and 'thrspinlock.s'. I've been
trying to find the lowest common denominator to work on Linux an OS X,
but I've finally come to the conclusion that it's just not going to
happen. Although most of the actual code - the implementations of the
method are directly portable, the small stuff around it just doesn't
work.

The main issue revolves around leading underscores being added to
function names. Apparently, this isn't the default behaviour for
Linux, but it is on OS X - even though I'm using gcc and gas in both
case. As such, the function names in the assembly files need to be
different based on the OS. I've tried fiddling with the
'-fno-leading-underscores' flag, but this blows up other stuff and
just seems to be a rat hole.

At this point, I think it's time to give up on the os.family + os.arch
separation and change to os.name + os.arch or something else? Any
thoughts or suggestions on such a change? I'm curious how this stuff
works on the other unix platforms, such as AIX and BSD.

-Nathan