harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Beyer <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build] svn branch/merge tracking
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 01:02:24 GMT
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Mark Hindess
<mark.hindess@googlemail.com>wrote:

> AIUI, as of svn 1.5, if I were to create a new branch with:
>
>  svn copy https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk\
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/branches/java7
>
> then svn would automatically track which revisions had been merged and I
> would
> subsequently be able to just run:
>
>  svn merge
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk
>
> (and resolve conflicts/test/commit) without messing about with revision
> numbers
> in the manner documented for the java6 branch at:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/BranchMerge
>
> Does anyone happen to know:
>
>  a) if this works on the asf infra structure, and/or

It should - the repo is running SVN 1.6.2.

>  b) how to retrospectively gain support for tracking (ideally without
>    destroying the java6 branch and recreating it)

I think this works based on a SVN property called svn:mergeinfo. From what
little I've dug into it, SVN will try to build it up, when it doesn't exist
in some scenarios. I think it can be helped though -
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html.