harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is it important to improve optimizations of Harmony's JIT compiler?
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 12:56:07 GMT
Niejiutao wrote:
> I'm interested in compiler optimizations and have some thoughts on
> improving the IR and optimizations of Jitrino.OPT.  However, it seems
> that the development on Jitrino.OPT is not very active (only 617 lines
> of changes of source code in the past five months), so I wonder whether
> improving the optimizations of JIT compiler is important for Harmony
> community.  If it's not, why? (Note that Harmony is not very competitive
> to other JVMs on performance, http://www.stefankrause.net/wp/?p=9)  If
> it is, are there any existing plans or any people working on this?

Hi Jiutao, it is important to keep improving the JIT and good to see
that you are interested.  There are still one or two people around who
'look after' the JIT code, and I'm sure they will be delighted to work
with you to implement the improvements.

It's true that there has not been as much activity around that area of
code, which might make it slow to get your proposed improvements
reviewed and accepted.  On the other hand, it means you are more likely
to get commit status more easily by working with the community and
producing valuable work in that area!

Regards,
Tim