harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject [vote] Accept JDWP contribution in HARMONY-6187
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 11:32:53 GMT
Hi all,

It's been a week since I sent out the initial mail about this
contribution and opinion seems positive so I'd like to open a vote to
officially accept the contribution.

[ ] +1 Accept this contribution
[ ] -1 Reject this contribution because...

I'll conclude the vote in 3 days as usual, unless anyone needs more time.

Regards,
Oliver

Oliver Deakin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A little while ago, IBM created a mirror of the Java 6 jdktools branch
> so that we could start bringing Harmony JDWP into the IBM Java
> releases. We began working in that mirror because it was convenient
> for our internal builds, with a plan to reflect all changes we made
> back into Harmony as we went. Unfortunately, as deadlines drew in and
> releases came and went those plans did not come into fruition - until
> now :)
>
> I'd like to announce the contribution of an enhanced Java 6 level JDWP
> agent and socket transport layer. It has been attached to HARMONY-6187
> [1] for everyone to try out - please take a look. It has the following
> enhancements:
> - A large number of bug fixes.
> - Ported to a wide variety of platforms - Linux x86/x86_64, Linux PPC
> 32/64, zLinux 31/64, Windows x86/x86_64, AIX PPC 32/64 and zOS 31/64.
> - As part of the porting process, all non-portable C++ usage has been
> removed and rewritten, particularly use of C++ standard libraries.
> - JSR 45 support implemented. The new JDWP agent allows debugging of
> non-Java stratum code running on the VM, for example JSPs.
> - Significant performance improvements.
>
> All authors already have ACQs recorded. There may be some more work to
> be done to get the new JDWP functioning 100% with Harmony, but I'd
> rather do that work out in the open once it is committed. Please let
> me know if there are any objections/comments to this contribution!
> I'll give it a few days and then start a vote.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Oliver Deakin
Unless stated otherwise above: