harmony-dev mailing list archives

From seb...@gmail.com
Subject Re: [general] NOTICE file does not have required contents (HARMONY-6155)
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 17:12:37 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Sebb commented on HARMONY-6155:
>> I think there are still some tweaks to be made.
>>
>> There seem to be some items missing from the NOTICE file - I
>> would expect this to mention most, if not all, of the 3rd party items.
>> For example:
>>
>> ICU4C
>> Copyright (c) 1995-2005 International Business Machines Corporation and others
>> All rights reserved.
>
> What are the criteria you are applying to determine which third-party
> items are put in the NOTICE file rather than the LICENSE file?

http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

"2. The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
third-party notices."

> If you take a look at the (canonical) example of httpd's NOTICE [1] and
> LICENSE [2] you can see similar distinctions.
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/trunk/NOTICE?view=co
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE?view=co

Exactly, the NOTICE file contains the attributions, the LICENSE file
contains the licenses.

As far as I can tell, at least some of the Hrmony licenses require
attribution.

>> [BTW, do you still use both versions of ICU4C?]
>
> No.  Why do you ask?  Are you confusing the ICU4C and ICU4J entries?

Yes, sorry.