harmony-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Notice and license files
Date Thu, 07 May 2009 10:56:45 GMT
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>  > Perhaps it would make sense to break down the big
>  > THIRD_PARTY_NOTICES.txt into a separate file for each notice. Then,
>  > using some magic at build time, each module could only pull the notices
>  > for the dependencies it actually uses into it's jar. This has a couple
>  > of benefits - we only need to maintain 1 copy of each third party notice
>  > at the top level and we also minimise the number of notices in each jar
>  > file so they don't expand in size any more than they need to.

The phrase "number of notices" presumably means "number of entries in
the NOTICE file", as there should only be one NOTICE file in each jar.

>  I think the expression is "thanks for volunteering" :-)
>
>  Seriously though, I agree that optimizing the required license/notices
>  for each JAR makes sense; but that's unlikely to make it to the top of
>  my to-do list soon.

SVN is regarded as a distribution, so that must also have a NOTICE and
LICENSE file at the top level (i.e. trunk, each branch and tag) which
obviously needs to include all the 3rd party notices.