harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [jdktools][jdwp] Updated Java 6 JDWP contribution
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 01:42:52 GMT
This is very good news to me. I like to see this part of Harmony to continue
its development since JDWP agent wasn't touched for quite some time since its
contribution with just several bugs fixes by its original developers and me.

Could you give the details about what actually increased the performance in it
and what kind of bugs were fixed?

On 29 April 2009 Oliver Deakin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A little while ago, IBM created a mirror of the Java 6 jdktools branch
> so that we could start bringing Harmony JDWP into the IBM Java releases.
> We began working in that mirror because it was convenient for our
> internal builds, with a plan to reflect all changes we made back into
> Harmony as we went. Unfortunately, as deadlines drew in and releases
> came and went those plans did not come into fruition - until now :)
>
> I'd like to announce the contribution of an enhanced Java 6 level JDWP
> agent and socket transport layer. It has been attached to HARMONY-6187
> [1] for everyone to try out - please take a look. It has the following
> enhancements:
>  - A large number of bug fixes.
>  - Ported to a wide variety of platforms - Linux x86/x86_64, Linux PPC
> 32/64, zLinux 31/64, Windows x86/x86_64, AIX PPC 32/64 and zOS 31/64.
>  - As part of the porting process, all non-portable C++ usage has been
> removed and rewritten, particularly use of C++ standard libraries.
>  - JSR 45 support implemented. The new JDWP agent allows debugging of
> non-Java stratum code running on the VM, for example JSPs.
>  - Significant performance improvements.
>
> All authors already have ACQs recorded. There may be some more work to
> be done to get the new JDWP functioning 100% with Harmony, but I'd
> rather do that work out in the open once it is committed. Please let me
> know if there are any objections/comments to this contribution! I'll
> give it a few days and then start a vote.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

Gregory