harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Lesson and roadmap thoughts
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:37:02 GMT
20 апреля 2009 г. 15:47 пользователь Tim Ellison
<t.p.ellison@gmail.com> написал:
> Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>> Under resource constraints we may even think of dropping Java 5 in favor of
>> Java 6. This would save Java 6 supporters their merge efforts and nullify
>> merge bugs.
>
> Maybe.  I hadn't thought of going that far - at least, not without a
> reasonable overlap period that allows people to migrate from 5.0 to 6.0
> stream.
>
> Given we don't make a big deal of publishing the 6.0 stream code today,
> I think it would be unreasonable to abandon the 5.0 stream abruptly.  We
> may well get to that point over time.

In fact Java5 is still widely used (more than 1/3 of polled audience
on average), so surely we should not abandon it now.

[1] http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/347384/results
[2] http://www.jroller.com/scolebourne/entry/devoxx_2008_whiteboard_votes
[3] http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/poll.jspa?poll=1021

--