harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xerces and xalan dependencies
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 05:24:41 GMT
Nathan, thanks. This is timely and worth discussing.

As for Apache projects, it may worth consuming them along with their
contributors to make Apache product line look more consistent for those who
use Apache libraries. Also it needs checking why Android uses different XML
parsers (maybe we can switch to better ones as well?)

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:

> I've been thinking about how we consume Xerces and Xalan, especially
> since we've had to do some of the more recent modifications to the
> build scripts to manipulate the JARs and archives in various ways. As
> an alternative to grabbing the binary packages, we could grab the
> source code itself and do our own builds. We could do this by grabbing
> the officially distributed source archives or we could checkout the
> code directly via svn:externals pointing to release tags (some risk in
> that).
>
> One advantage this has is that the code would be compiled at the
> bytecode level of our code (Xerces currently builds to support Java
> 1.3). The other would be a more natural fit into the classlib module
> structure, which would allow us to build and package manifests as well
> as additional tests.
>
> Just something I've been knocking around in my head. Any comments or
> additional thoughts?

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://www.telecom-express.ru/
http://people.apache.org/~aaf/