harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jdktools][jdwp] Updated Java 6 JDWP contribution
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:24:13 GMT
Oliver,
This is very interesting update. Nice job!

One who looks into native.zip may suggest that the code is new, but in
fact it looks like more an incremental change. I have noticed the
following and posting it here, so people knew what's happening:
* 10 source files were added,
* new Java 6 features were added as operations,
* C++ exceptions were replaced with function return codes and
function-like syntax,
* 82 @author tags naming Aleksander Budniy, Anatoly Bondarenko,
Viacheslav Rybalov, Anton Karnachuk, Pavel Vyssotski, Vitaly Provodin
were removed (haven't we agreed keeping them as is? well, at least
they can be found in this message)
* usage of C strings were added,
* logging macros were replaced from C++-like syntax to C syntax,
* strange comments, e.g. /* Fix for 143846 - make sure we pass EBCDIC
strings to zOS system functions */ appeared with no additional context
on what is 143846
* the newly added code contains commented code, e.g.
// printf("Looking for equivalent of java line %d in stratum %s\n",
//        lineNumber, stratum);
  or
/*
 ProcPtr jdwp::GetProcAddress(LoadedLibraryHandler libHandler, const
char* procName)
do we have a good reason to commit a commented code?
* there are several /* FIXME - Workaround for shutdown crashes */
comments in the new code,
* several doxygen comments start with an incorrect verb form (see
http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/writingdoccomments/#format for a
correct one), the comments like /** A constructor. */ are not very
helpful.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Oliver Deakin
<oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A little while ago, IBM created a mirror of the Java 6 jdktools branch so
> that we could start bringing Harmony JDWP into the IBM Java releases. We
> began working in that mirror because it was convenient for our internal
> builds, with a plan to reflect all changes we made back into Harmony as we
> went. Unfortunately, as deadlines drew in and releases came and went those
> plans did not come into fruition - until now :)
>
> I'd like to announce the contribution of an enhanced Java 6 level JDWP agent
> and socket transport layer. It has been attached to HARMONY-6187 [1] for
> everyone to try out - please take a look. It has the following enhancements:
> - A large number of bug fixes.
> - Ported to a wide variety of platforms - Linux x86/x86_64, Linux PPC 32/64,
> zLinux 31/64, Windows x86/x86_64, AIX PPC 32/64 and zOS 31/64.
> - As part of the porting process, all non-portable C++ usage has been
> removed and rewritten, particularly use of C++ standard libraries.
> - JSR 45 support implemented. The new JDWP agent allows debugging of
> non-Java stratum code running on the VM, for example JSPs.
> - Significant performance improvements.
>
> All authors already have ACQs recorded. There may be some more work to be
> done to get the new JDWP functioning 100% with Harmony, but I'd rather do
> that work out in the open once it is committed. Please let me know if there
> are any objections/comments to this contribution! I'll give it a few days
> and then start a vote.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

> --
> Oliver Deakin
> Unless stated otherwise above:
> 741598. Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
> PO6 3AU

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://www.telecom-express.ru/
http://people.apache.org/~aaf/