harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Manju Vijayakumar <manju.b...@gmail.com>
Subject [Gsoc] jdb project
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 00:25:55 GMT
Hi all,

I made some minor improvements to my proposal on gsoc.
Here is the link:
http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2009/manjuvijayakumar/t123808458043

So what do you think of the proposal overall? Your comments could really
help me spruce up my proposal! Also, I was discussing with Oliver about some
of the things below. So the questions are:

Is the most recent Sun jdb implementation based on JDK 1.3 and earlier?

Because, if that is the case, then there can be several improvements (apart
from the ones in my proposal) to the existing sun jdb that can be
incorporated in the Harmony jdb and make it a superior version.

- Like say the Hot Swap feature? (fix and continue running the debugging OR
letting the server continue without restarting)

- add a watchpoint? (can we stop at a point while comparing (==, <, > etc)
value of a variable)

- does jdb show chained exceptions? (each exception in chain is displayed)

- show a hierarchy of classes loaded into target jvm?

- view current threads or individual stack frames and change the context of
the debugger to a particular thread/stack frame?

I might be shooting in the dark, because I am yet to verify if the latest
jdb in Java 6 supports these..I should probably run all the options of Sun
jdb and see.

What I am also unsure is, if they are all feasible implementations within
the scope/period of Gsoc. May be we can keep some of the proposed extensions
optional?

--
Thanks,
Manju Vijayakumar