harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Qiu <sean.xx....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Lesson and roadmap thoughts
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:04:25 GMT
2009/4/17 Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>:
> Immediately after a release is usually the time that I'm thinking about
> lessons learned, the project road map, and future deliveries from Harmony.
>
> Most noticeable for me was the long stabilization period we undertook
> for M9 compared to earlier releases.  This was required, I believe,
> because of the longer open development period [1].  The lesson to take
> away from that is to ensure we keep an eye on our regular release
> schedule and keep the time boxes short enough that stable fixes get out
> to our users, and we minimize the frozen codebase period.
>
> Looking ahead I'd therefore expect 5.0 M10 to be released at the end of
> May (6 weeks after April 8th = May 20).
>

> The other thing that bothers me is the lack of expose we give our Java 6
> branch.  While the majority of fixes we commit are applied to both
> branches, we have some good work completed in the Java 6 API branch's
> core classes that is not getting the uptake it deserves.

What about each committer takes charge of this?
When we apply certain patches to trunk,
we'd make the decision whether merge it to branch 6 meanwhile.

I've tried to do some merging work, it is not easy to tell "proper"
and "improper" against a great number of patches.
It do introduce potential risks while merging.

> The non-core Java 6 classes get very little attention at the moment.
> With Harmony's strong modular architecture we can easily construct a
> headless runtime that delivers those core classes without the missing
> functionality.
>
> I'd like to suggest that we experiment with the flexible components in
> Harmony to deliver a headless runtime based on the Java 6 APIs.

+1

--
Best Regards
Sean, Xiao Xia Qiu