harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSOC] Questions about harmony i18n
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 05:36:28 GMT
Hi Stefan,

     Yes Harmony Project has already made an infrastructure there, and I
believe it's good and we do not need to replace it. Jilkit seems the similar
with the infrastructure. However the project harmony i18n tool does not
focus on the translation and i18n itself, but on the overall solution of any
Java projects i18n. Which requires a tool, which automatically extract the
messages in source code, analysis if necessary to localized, then translate
and adjust, and at last inject into the source code and apply the
localization. So with this tool, any developer of a Java projects can use it
to make his non-i18n project to a localized one. This processing may help
projects to be easy to be used by customers thus is valuable.
     And I believe some of the messages are welcomed by customers if they
see a error message "out of memory "(maybe he know how to configure the -Xmx
etc), rather than some un-readable messages for him "blablala". What's more,
there's many output information for one java application need to be i18n.

     Yes to tell if some Strings should be localized or not is one of the
key design in this project. The students can raise their ideas and show
their elaboration in their proposal, and discuss with the mentors about this
issue.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv