harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xerces and xalan dependencies
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:19:06 GMT
Tony Wu wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Mark Hindess
> <mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> In message <3b3f27c60904291750s2ac0530fib707c1c34e96400f@mail.gmail.com>,
>> Nathan Beyer writes:
>>> I've been thinking about how we consume Xerces and Xalan, especially
>>> since we've had to do some of the more recent modifications to the
>>> build scripts to manipulate the JARs and archives in various ways. As
>>> an alternative to grabbing the binary packages, we could grab the
>>> source code itself and do our own builds. We could do this by grabbing
>>> the officially distributed source archives or we could checkout the
>>> code directly via svn:externals pointing to release tags (some risk in
>>> that).
>> I'd rather not use svn:externals.
>
> I dont like svn:externals either. Probably it's not necessary to keep
> them up to date. How about vote for whether to update when discussing
> the next milestone build. I incline to grab the src code so that we
> won't heavily depends on the script.

+1 to not using svn:externals.  It plays havoc with our version control!

>>> One advantage this has is that the code would be compiled at the
>>> bytecode level of our code (Xerces currently builds to support Java
>>> 1.3). The other would be a more natural fit into the classlib module
>>> structure, which would allow us to build and package manifests as well
>>> as additional tests.
>> I've been thinking about creating modules/xml (and modules/orb) so that
>> these dependencies are handled in a way that is more consistent with
>> our modular structure.  It would allow us to do things like
>> -Dexclude.module=orb and not have to download the yoko dependency (which
>> would be sensible for Harmony Select).
>>
> yes, I think it is the consistent with Nathan's "more natural fit into
> the classlib module structure"

yep

>>> Just something I've been knocking around in my head. Any comments or
>>> additional thoughts?
>> We don't really do very much to the jar.  (Now that we are doing it only
>> once per download rather than once per build) I don't think it is a big
>> deal.  However, I like the idea of actually running xerces and xalan
>> tests on Harmony and perhaps the best way to do that is to grab source -
>> unless the tests are in a jar?
>
> good point. we'd better run these tests on Harmony.

All good points.  The only minor concern I have is that is we start to
modify the dependencies (too much) we'll get into a world of hurt when
trying to upgrade to the latest versions.

Rather than locally customize a particular distribution there should be
a point where we work closer with the dependency project to produce
something more closely aligned to our use case.

Regards,
Tim