harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject [jdktools][jdwp] Updated Java 6 JDWP contribution
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:50:37 GMT
Hi all,

A little while ago, IBM created a mirror of the Java 6 jdktools branch
so that we could start bringing Harmony JDWP into the IBM Java releases.
We began working in that mirror because it was convenient for our
internal builds, with a plan to reflect all changes we made back into
Harmony as we went. Unfortunately, as deadlines drew in and releases
came and went those plans did not come into fruition - until now :)

I'd like to announce the contribution of an enhanced Java 6 level JDWP
agent and socket transport layer. It has been attached to HARMONY-6187
[1] for everyone to try out - please take a look. It has the following
enhancements:
 - A large number of bug fixes.
 - Ported to a wide variety of platforms - Linux x86/x86_64, Linux PPC
32/64, zLinux 31/64, Windows x86/x86_64, AIX PPC 32/64 and zOS 31/64.
 - As part of the porting process, all non-portable C++ usage has been
removed and rewritten, particularly use of C++ standard libraries.
 - JSR 45 support implemented. The new JDWP agent allows debugging of
non-Java stratum code running on the VM, for example JSPs.
 - Significant performance improvements.

All authors already have ACQs recorded. There may be some more work to
be done to get the new JDWP functioning 100% with Harmony, but I'd
rather do that work out in the open once it is committed. Please let me
know if there are any objections/comments to this contribution! I'll
give it a few days and then start a vote.

Regards,
Oliver

Oliver Deakin
Unless stated otherwise above: