harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [discuss] Harmony Select 6 definition
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:48:52 GMT
Last week, in the lessons learned thread, we talked about having a
reduced footprint runtime delivery based upon our Java 6 branch [1].

The goal would be to get exposure of the Java 6 code in a form that is
still useful to a wide class of (headless) programs.  Using Harmony's
modular architecture we can quite easily deliver on the Java 6 modules
that are further developed at the moment, with plans to back-fill the
other modules as they become available.

Here's a strawman proposal about what I think should be in the "Harmony
Select" build:

Included
  ANNOTATION         ARCHIVE             AUTH
  BEANS              CONCURRENT          CRYPTO
  JNDI               INSTRUMENT          LANG-MANAGEMENT
  LOGGING            LUNI                MATH
  NIO                NIO_CHAR            PACK200
  PREFS              REGEX               SECURITY
  SQL                TEXT                XML
  X-NET

Which means the following modules would be left out:
  ACCESSIBILITY      APPLET              AWT
  IMAGEIO            ORB                 PRINT
  RMI                SOUND               SWING
  X_MGT

I chose the above lists somewhat arbitrarily based upon the Java 5 build
content.  I haven't listed some modules we might want to include that
are Java 6 specific (e.g. JAXB).

Discuss :-)
 - Can you imagine paring down the 'Included' list any further?
 - What is missing from the list that must be there to make it useful?

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/zaz4hzg6xes5fijj

Regards,
Tim