harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Lesson and roadmap thoughts
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:12:55 GMT
Sian January wrote:
> I agree that we need to be more timely about the next milestone.
>
> It would also be good to focus a bit more on Java 6 since Java 5 is
> starting to become old.  Maybe we could do a Java 6 M1 (or subset as
> you describe) to coincide with Java 5 M10?

I'm not too bothered about the 'age' of Java 5.  IMHO there are not too
may apps that have a hard dependency on Java 6 APIs yet; but we have got
some technology in that branch that, at the moment, does not see the
light of day and that is a shame.

> On another note, I would also like to see us get up to 100% pass rate
> for the class library tests and then keep this going - i.e. if a
> commit causes any tests to fail then it should be fixed asap or backed
> out.  I think this would have helped us avoid some of the issues that
> caused such a long stabilisation period for M9.

Agreed.  Having build/test systems visible in the ASF infrastructure
would help.  There has been some discussion about getting separable
tests, but even if that does not come about we could extend Hudson to do
a full build/test cycle too.

I expect that we will have problems getting platform coverage from the
ASF Hudson systems though.  AFAIK they are all Linux x86_64 machines.

Regards,
Tim