harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [general] Lesson and roadmap thoughts
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:23:42 GMT
Immediately after a release is usually the time that I'm thinking about
lessons learned, the project road map, and future deliveries from Harmony.

Most noticeable for me was the long stabilization period we undertook
for M9 compared to earlier releases.  This was required, I believe,
because of the longer open development period [1].  The lesson to take
away from that is to ensure we keep an eye on our regular release
schedule and keep the time boxes short enough that stable fixes get out
to our users, and we minimize the frozen codebase period.

Looking ahead I'd therefore expect 5.0 M10 to be released at the end of
May (6 weeks after April 8th = May 20).

The other thing that bothers me is the lack of expose we give our Java 6
branch.  While the majority of fixes we commit are applied to both
branches, we have some good work completed in the Java 6 API branch's
core classes that is not getting the uptake it deserves.

The non-core Java 6 classes get very little attention at the moment.
With Harmony's strong modular architecture we can easily construct a
headless runtime that delivers those core classes without the missing
functionality.

I'd like to suggest that we experiment with the flexible components in
Harmony to deliver a headless runtime based on the Java 6 APIs.

Thoughts?

[1] Depending on exactly how you count it, we were open from 17 Nov - 27
Feb, which is a massive 14.5 weeks!

Regards,
Tim