harmony-dev mailing list archives

From charlie hunt <charlie.h...@sun.com>
Subject Re: contribution of treemap modification(s) ?
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 13:52:53 GMT
Ok ... I'm back.

Tim:  Some questions below.   Sorry to be overly cautious here.  But, I
want direction from you on moving forward with this.

For others who have asked other questions .... I will get to those
questions unrelated to getting these modifications to Harmony once we
get that task out of the way.  Please bear with me ... first things
first. :-)

If possible I would like to get this transaction completed today since I
am planning to be on holidays / vacation Thursday & Friday.

Questions for Tim:

Just to be clear on the TreeMap artifact.  The modifications are
enhancements which made to a TreeMap 5 from the Harmony repository where
we added / implemented the Java 6 APIs to make it Java 6 compliant.
Although I was the author of the changes / enhancements, I do not own
this rights to the code that was added, Sun owns it and Sun wishes to
give these changes/enhancements to Harmony.

1.) I looked over the "detailed contribution policy".  At first glance
it looks a little daunting. ;-)  It seems a little heavyweight for what
we are trying to accomplish which is merely giving Harmony the
modifications to java.util.TreeMap.  Do we need to do:
a.) Authorized Contributor Questionnaire:  This looks to be applicable
if one is wanting to be a (long term) committer to the project.  That is
not my intention. I merely would like to give Harmony the modifications
made to your TreeMap 5.  Do you really need this Authorized Contributor
Questionnaire?  Would there be some kind of "blanket" agreement between
Sun & Apache which would make this transaction much easier?  Sun makes
contributions and has contributors on many different Apache projects.
(Fwiw, I am not trying to delay or slow the transaction.  I am trying to
figure out the easiest and quickest way to make this transaction occur.)
b.) I am certainly not an expert at this topic.  But, after reading the
"Contribution Policy", it looks to me as if this contribution falls
under the "Bulk Contribution"?  Would you agree?

Assuming you agree this contribution falls under the "Bulk
Contribution", what is the typical artifacts put in JIRA and is this
something we can do ahead of satisfying the "Software Grant or CCLA"
which might already exist for Sun?  If this falls under a "Bulk
Contribution" do you need the "Authorized Contributor Questionnaire"
from me?

Sorry to be full of questions ... this is something that is totally new
and foreign to me. :-(

thanks,

charlie hunt ...