harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC] Proposal For jdb command line debugger tool.
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:14:34 GMT
Hi, and welcome to Harmony!

hu jing wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I am interested in the "jdb command line debugger tool". I find Sun jdb

Great!
> is not very friendly to developers. I want to add some useful function to
> this tool. Such as, Auto-complete command line, smart format for the user
> input. And we can also supply some interfaces to further development.
>     Wen Dong(zwd2005@gmail.com) and I want to participate in this tool
> development. We are from the same laboratory of the Department of Computer
> Science of Nanjing University. We worked together for two years and now we
> are both interns in IBM CDL. I think we can work out the debugger tool
> pretty.

I don't know what the rules are for co-working on a project - I believe
each project has to be an individual effort. You could ask on the GSoC
discussion mailing list (mailing lists and other useful info can be
found here [1]).

>     The popular architecture is JPDA(Java Platform Debugger Architecture).
> JPDA contains three parts: JVMTI, JDWP and JDI. JVMTI(Java Virtual Machine
> Tool Interface) supply a set of native interface supplied by JVM. The
> development based on the JVMTI level is complex and hard to be extended and
> modified. JDWP supplies a standard protocol for the communication between
> the debugger and debuggee. And it also provides the socket interface. JDI is
> debug interface. It is mostly implemented in Java. JVMTI and JDWP are based
> native code. We want to implement the java command line debugger tool in
> C/C++ considering efficiency. We will use JDWP interface for development
> efficiency and Portability.

Have you considered coding the tool in Java and using JDI to access all
the required functions? I think it will be more portable, easier to
maintain, and will fit more naturally with the other command line tools
we have in Harmony.

>     The following is our main idea for this tool:
>
>     1.format the user input.
>     2.validate the command arguments.
>     3.Create connection between debugger and JVM, and here we can use the
> JDWP Transport Interface. Based on the JDWP, We create packages containing
> the command information and send packages to JVM by using the transport
> interface. JVM will process these packages and send the feedback to the
> debugger. And we will process this information.
>     4.print the message on the console.
>

> Schedule:
>        We can work 20 hours each week.
>        April 4 ~ April 30: Be family with JDWP and JDWP Transport Interface.
>        May 1 ~ May 22: meet our mentors, read the documentation and get some
> suggestions from our mentors.
>        May 23 ~ May 30: to determine the final framework and algorithm
> details, divide the work with my partners.
>        June 1 ~ June 30: coding.
>        July 1 ~ July 5: integration, test and debug for mid-term
> evaluations.
>        July 6 ~ August 11: process the debug, documentation and integration.
>        August 12 ~ August 24: write test unit, debug and final release.

Looks like a good plan. You need to clear up the issue of working with a
partner - if that is a possibility, or you can decide on one of you to
work on the project alone, then please draft a submission in the GSoC
tool [2] as soon as possible. The deadline for submissions is Friday 3rd
April.

Regards,
Oliver

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs